What is the News?
Lok Sabha passes the National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Second (Amendment) Bill, 2020.
About National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws Second (Amendment) Bill, 2020:
- The bill amends the National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Second Act,2011. The 2011 Act was valid till 31st December 2020. The Bill seeks to extend this deadline till the end of December 2023.
- The bill seeks to regularise unauthorized colonies based on 2 qualifications
- that existed in the National Capital Territory of Delhi as of June 1,2014 and
- that had seen development up to 50% as of January 1,2015.
- It also provides protection to certain forms of unauthorized developments in Delhi from punitive action where adequate measures are yet to be taken.
What was the need for this bill?
- There are 1,700 unauthorized colonies in Delhi. Due to unauthorization, these colonies are not receiving proper amenities. This Bill provides ownership rights to those living in these colonies.
- The bill would also facilitate access to institutional credit and also improve the basic amenities.
Source: The Hindu