- The Lok Sabha passed the Prevention of Corruption (Amendment) Bill, 2018.
2. Key features of the Bill are given below:
- The Bill seeks to punish bribe-givers and bribe takers.
- Jail terms of three to seven years, besides fine, to those convicted by receiving or giving brides to public officials.
- The public servants will be prosecuted after government sanction.
- The verdict on corruption cases should be given within two years.
- The Bill makes a distinction between “Collusive bribe givers” and those who are “coerced”. The Bill seeks to protect those who report the matter within 7 days.
3. Criticisms of the Bill:
- Many members raised concerns that the seven-day period was too short and need to extend this time frame.
- The Bill was critised for diluting from its original draft by introducing a provision to get prior permission for starting an investigation.