What is the News?
The Prime Minister has laid the foundation stone of a Maharaja Suheldev memorial and the development work of Chittaura lake in Uttar Pradesh’s Bahraich district.
About Maharaja Suheldev:
- Maharaja Suheldev was the erstwhile ruler of Shravasti in Uttar Pradesh’s Bahraich district who ruled in the 11th century.
- He is known to have defeated and killed Ghazi Salar Masud in battle in Bahraich in 1034 AD. Ghazi Salar Masud was the nephew of Mahmud of Ghazni.
- Further, He is also mentioned in the 17th-century historical romance Mirat-i-Masudi. It was written by Abd-ur-Rahman Chishti in Persian-language. The book was written during the reign of the Mughal emperor Jahangir.
- People of the Rajbhar and Pasi community consider him as their descendant. These communities have a significant presence in Uttar Pradesh.
- Chittaura Lake is located in Uttar Pradesh. The lake is also known as Ashtwarka jheel.
- A small river named Teri Nadi flows from this lake. Apart from that, The lake is home to many migratory birds.
- The lake is believed to be the place where the fight between Maharaja Suheldev and the Muslim invader Ghazi Saiyyad Salar Masud.
- A statue of Raja Suhaldev and a temple dedicated to Goddess Durga is present near the lake.
Source: Business Standard