- Maitri is India’s second permanent research station in Antarcticaas part of the Indian Antarctic Programme.
- Maitri is situated on the rocky mountainous region called Schirmacher Oasis. It is only 5 km away from Russian Novolazarevskaya Station.
- The station has modern facilities to carry out research in various disciplines, such as biology, earth sciences, glaciology, atmospheric sciences, meteorology, cold region engineering, communication, human physiology and medicine.
- It has a capacity to accommodate 25 people for winter.
- Fresh water is provided through a fresh water lake named Lake Priyadarshini, in front of Maitri.