News:Minister of State for Shipping has chaired the 17th Maritime State Development Council (MSDC) meeting in New Delhi.
- Maritime State Development Council(MSDC) is an apex advisory body for the development of the Maritime sector.
- MSDC was constituted in May 1997 under the Chairmanship of the Minister of Shipping. The Ministers in charge of ports of the maritime States/Union Territories (UTs) as members.
- It aims to ensure the integrated development of Major and non-Major Ports.It also assess in consultation with State Governments for the future development of existing and new Minor Ports.
- Further, MSDC also monitors the development of minor ports, captive ports and private ports in the Maritime States with a view to ensure their integrated development with Major Ports.
- It also assess the requirements of other infrastructure requirements like roads/rail/IWT and make suitable recommendations to the concerned Ministers.