What is the News?
The Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology(MeitY) has enabled map services in UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) App through an MOU with MapmyIndia.
- With this, citizens will be able to find government facilities nearest to their location, such as mandis, blood banks etc.
About UMANG app:
- UMANG mobile app was launched in 2017. It is a Government of India single, unified, secure, multi-channel, multi-platform, multi-lingual, multi-service mobile app.
- Purpose: It brings major government services ranging from Central to Local Government bodies on a single mobile app. It is with a larger goal to make the government accessible on the mobile phones of citizens.
- Developed by: UMANG is developed by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology(MeitY) and National e-Governance Division (NeGD) to drive Mobile Governance in India.
Current Services provided by UMANG: UMANG app has already started to provide map functionality through MapmyIndia in the following services. Such as,
- Mera Ration – To identify and navigate to the Nearest Fair Price Shops),
- eNAM – To identify and navigate to the nearby mandis pointed
- Damini – ‘Damini Lightning Alerts’ service
Future Services by UMANG: To further increase usefulness to citizens, the map functionality will be shortly enabled in many more services such as:
- ESIC – Users can view ESIC centres such as hospitals/dispensaries on the map view and navigate to them.
- The National Crime Records Bureau(NCRB) provides information corresponding to nearby police stations on the map.
- Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (Meri Sadak) will help users to raise complaints of damaged roads (under PMGSY) by selecting the road on the MapmyIndia platform.