What is the News?
Union Health Minister launches the Tribal TB Initiative to achieve the goal of TB Mukt Bharat.
About Tribal TB Initiative:
- Aim: Firstly, Tribal TB Initiative aims to address the problem of Tuberculosis in Tribal Population.
- Secondly, the initiative will initially focus on 161 districts across 18 identified States. It will focus on vulnerability mapping, active case finding, and promote behavioral change at the ground level.
- Thirdly, TB Mukt Bharat initiative aims at the elimination of TB by 2025.
Why was this initiative launched?
- Over 104 million tribal populations live in India. It spreads across 705 tribes and accounts for 8.6 % of India’s population.
- This tribal population is highly vulnerable to TB due to physical remoteness, malnutrition, poor living conditions, and lack of awareness. Hence, the initiative is launched to focus on these areas.
- Lakshadweep and the district of Badgam in Jammu and Kashmir have been declared TB Free on World TB Day 2021.
- The Government of India has increased the Budget allocation for TB in India four-fold in the last 5 years.
Other Tribal Health-Related Initiatives:
- ALEKH: It is an e-newsletter that is to be released on a quarterly basis. It will showcase the works of different stakeholders involved in improving the health and nutrition of tribals.
- Swasthya Portal: It aims to provide health and nutrition-related information to the tribal population of India.