What is the news?
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs releases the rankings of the Municipal Performance Index(MPI) 2020.
About Municipal Performance Index(MPI), 2020:
- It is a framework to assess and analyze the performance of Indian Municipalities. Performance is evaluated based on their defined set of functions.
- It provides citizens with a better understanding of their local government administration.
- The MPI has been undertaken for the first time in the country.
Note: Both Ease of Living Index and Municipal Performance Index(MPI) released together. Both indexes provide a holistic view of the performance of cities across India.
Parameters: The index ranks municipalities based on five parameters which are:
- Services: It includes an assessment of all functions that citizens experience on a daily basis.
- Finance: It measures municipalities based on how they manage public funds and how their agency is accessing financial resources.
- Planning: It examines the level of preparation, implementation, and enforcement of urban planning.
- Technology: It measures the digital coverage of municipality services and the extent to which it empowers its citizens to access such services.
- Governance: It deals with aspects of municipal bodies and their governance mechanism.
- The index examined the sectoral performance of 111 municipalities (with Delhi being assessed separately for NDMC and the three Municipal Corporations).
- Classification: It has classified municipalities based on their population:
- Million+ (municipalities having over a million population) and
- Less than Million Population.
- Million+ category: Indore has emerged as the highest-ranked municipality followed by Surat and Bhopal.
- Less than Million category: New Delhi Municipal Council has emerged as the leader followed by Tirupati and Gandhinagar.
Significance of the index:
- MPI provides a detailed understanding of municipalities’ functionalities and the extent of their development and capabilities.
- It also seeks to raise awareness among citizens and key stakeholders regarding their local government bodies and build greater transparency and accountability.
Source: Business Standard