News: Union Minister of State for Tribal Affairs has informed Lok Sabha about the Minor Forest Produce(MFP).
About Minor Forest Produce:
- Minor Forest Produce(MFP) is a subset of forest produce. The Scheduled Tribes and Other Traditional Forest Dwellers (Recognition of Forest Rights) Act,2006 defines minor forest produce as all non-timber forest produce of plant origin.
- These include bamboo, brushwood, stumps, canes, cocoon, honey, waxes, Lac, tendu leaves, medicinal plants and herbs, roots among others.
About MSP for MFP scheme:
- The Minimum Support Price(MSP) for the MFP scheme was started by the Government of India in 2013 to ensure fair and remunerative prices to MFP gatherers. It is a Centrally Sponsored scheme.
Objectives: The scheme has been started with the following objectives:
- To provide a fair price to the MFP gatherers for the produce collected by them and enhance their income level
- To ensure sustainable harvesting of MFPs.
- The Scheme will have a huge social dividend for MFP gatherers, majority of whom are tribals.
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs,Government of India is the Nodal Ministry for implementation of the scheme.
- TRIFED acts as the Central Nodal Agency for implementation and monitoring of the scheme through State level implementing agencies.
- Further,the State designated agencies will undertake procurement of notified MFPs directly from MFP gatherers at haats notified procurement centers at grass root level at prefixed Minimum Support Price.
- MSP is the minimum price paid to farmers for procuring food crops.It is announced by the Government at the beginning of the sowing season.
- There are two objectives of the Minimum Support Price system (a)To prevent distress sale by the farmers in case of a bumper crop and (b)To procure the grains for public distribution by fair price shops.
- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) was established in 1987.It functions under the administrative control of Ministry of Tribal affairs.
- The basic objective of the TRIFED is to provide good price to the products made or collected from the forest by the tribal people.