News: Indian Naval Ship Airavat has arrived in Sudan with food aid as part of Mission Sagar II
- Mission Sagar: It was launched by the Indian government to provide assistance to friendly foreign countries to overcome natural calamities and the coronavirus pandemic.
- Mission Sagar-I: It was undertaken in May-June 2020, wherein India reached out to Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagascar and Comoros, and provided food aid and medicines.
- Mission Sagar-II: As part of Mission Sagar-II, Indian Naval Ship Airavat will deliver food aid to Sudan, South Sudan, Djibouti and Eritrea.
- Security and Growth of All in the Region(SAGAR) in the Indian Ocean(SAGAR): The term was coined by the Indian Prime Minister in 2015.It is basically a maritime initiative which gives priority to Indian Ocean region for ensuring peace, stability and prosperity of India in Indian Ocean region.
- Objectives: The initiative aims at a) enhancing capacities to safeguard land and maritime territories & interests b) deepening economic and security cooperation in the littoral and c) action to deal with natural disasters and maritime threats like piracy,terrorism.