- Recently India called for enhancing multilateral cooperation and economic and cultural ties among member-nations at the 13th East Asia Summit in Singapore held recently.
- It was Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s 5th East Asia Summit (EAS). India has been participating in the EAS since its very inception in 2005.
- The Indian Prime Minister reiterated India’s vision of a peaceful, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific region, strengthening maritime cooperation and commitment to a balanced Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) pact.
- About East Asia Summit (EAS):
- The EAS consists of 10 ASEAN nations (Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia, Brunei and Laos), Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, Russia and the U.S.
- It was formed to further the objectives of regional peace, security and prosperity.
- About RCEP:
- RCEP is a proposed comprehensive regional economic integration agreement among the 10-ASEAN countries and its six free trade agreements partners Australia, New Zealand, Japan, China, Korea and India. The RCEP negotiations were launched in November 2012.