- Recently, PM Narendra Modi met South African President Cyril Ramaphosa on the sidelines of the BRICs summit in Johannesburg.
2. Johannesburg sent official to resolve crisis with Indian side.
3. The crisis erupted after the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) of Johannesburg started investigating charges by the Muslim Lawyers Association on human rights violations in Kashmir.
4. However, Officials from Johannesburg side informed that the NPA was not empowered to press charges as the Indian PM was protected by the Geneva Convention governing international summits.
5. Indian government has not commented on this so far.
6. Geneva Conventions:
- Geneva Conventions are a set of international treaties to regulate war crimes. India is a signatory to it.
- The conventions consist of four conventions and three protocols.
- It aims to incorporate humane behavior even with those who are involved in either of international or non-international conflicts.
- It promotes ethical behavior during wars and defines the code of conduct that must be met while behaving with criminals.
7. About BRIC Summit 2018:
- Theme: “BRICs in Africa: Collaboration for inclusive growth and shared prosperity in the 4th industrial revolution.
- This is the tenth annual BRIC Summit, attended by the heads of government of the five member states Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- This is the second time South Africa is hosting the summit after 2013 summit.