News:A team of scientists from 19 countries is about to start the year-long MOSAIC mission in the RV Polarstern ship to a large piece of Arctic sea ice to study climate change.
About the Mosaic mission:
- MOSAiC mission stands for Multidisciplinary drifting Observatory for the Study of Arctic Climate.
- The objective of the mission is to study the impact of climate change on the Arctic and how it could affect the rest of the world.
- The mission has received funding from U.S. institutions such as the National Science Foundation, the Department of Energy, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and NASA.
- Under the mission,scientists plan to sail the RV Polarstern ship into the Arctic Ocean, anchor it to a large piece of sea ice and allow the water to freeze around them effectively trapping themselves in the vast sheet of ice that forms over the North Pole each winter.
- As temperatures drop,they’ll build temporary winter research camps on the ice allowing them to perform tests that wouldn’t be possible at other times of the year or by satellite sensing.