Muslims lag behind all communities in higher education; U.P. shows worst decline, says study

Source: The post is based on the article “Muslims lag behind all communities in higher education; U.P. shows worst decline, says study” published in The Hindu on 30th May 2023

What is the News?

According to the latest All India Survey on Education 2020-21 report, the Muslim community is lagging behind all communities, including the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, in higher education.

What is the All India Survey on Higher Education(AISHE)?

Must read: All India Survey on Higher Education(AISHE)

What are the key findings of AISHE 2020-21 survey?

Must read: AISHE 2020-21 findings

What are the findings of AISHE 2020-21 on higher education of the Muslim community?

Dismal enrolment ratio: The enrolment of Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Classes (OBCs) in higher education was improved by 4.2%, 11.9% and 4%, respectively, compared with 2019-20. But, the Muslim community’s enrolment declined by 8%.

This might be partially due to the COVID-19 pandemic and associated economic poverty, which forces talented students to pursue earning opportunities after schooling.

Highest declining states: The most drastic decline was reported from Uttar Pradesh (36%), followed by Jammu and Kashmir (26%), Maharashtra (8.5%) and Tamil Nadu (8.1%).

Best performer: Kerala is the only State breaks the above trend. Here, 43% Muslims go for higher education.

Communities coverage of higher education: The OBCs accounts for 36% of the total enrolment in higher education in the country. The SCs bring up another 14%. The two communities cover nearly 50% of the seats in universities and colleges.

But the Muslim community accounts for only 4.6% higher education enrolment though the community’s share in the country’s population stands at over 14%.

For example, in Delhi, every fifth Muslim student failed to enrol for higher education after completing the Senior School Certificate Examination and in Uttar Pradesh, where Muslims are about 20% of the population, the community’s enrolment for higher education stands at a mere 4.5%.

Gradual upliftment of women: Muslims and other minorities have more female students than male students, pointing to a gradual uplift of the women of the minority communities.

Note: This also signifies the pressure to earn at the earliest among the male members of the community.

Lack of Muslim teachers: At an all-India level, teachers belonging to the General Category account for 56% of all teachers. OBC, SC and ST teachers make up another 32%, 9% and 2.5% of the teachers, respectively. Muslims constitute only 5.6% of the teachers.

Print Friendly and PDF