News:Experts have said that the National adaptation fund has been allocated only Rs 100 crore in the Budget and about one pilot project in each state.
About the fund:
- The National Adaptation Fund for Climate Change(NAFCC) is a Central Sector Scheme.
- It was set up in 2015 to meet the climate change adaptation needs of vulnerable states and Union territories.
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) is the National Implementing Entity(NIE).
- The Scheme has been designed to fulfill the objectives of the National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC) and operationalize State Action Plans on Climate Change (SAPCC).
- The UN Framework Convention on Climate Change defines adaptation as adjustments in ecological, social and economic systems in response to current climate change impacts and projected impact.
- The National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC) was launched in 2008 by the Prime Minister’s Council on Climate Change.
- It aims at creating awareness among the representatives of the public, different agencies of the government, scientists, industry and the communities on the threat posed by climate change and the steps to counter it.
- There are 8 national missions which forms the core of the NAPCC which represent multi-pronged, long term and integrated strategies for achieving key goals in climate change.These are-