List of Contents
What is the News?
National Bamboo Mission has launched an MIS (Management Information Systems) based reporting platform for strengthening the domestic agarbatti industry.
About MIS System for agarbatti industry:
- MIS (Management Information Systems) has been launched to help collate data on
- Agarbatti stick production,
- The locations of stick making units,
- Availability of raw material,
- Functioning of the units, production capacity, marketing among others.
About National Bamboo Mission:
- National Bamboo Mission(NBM) was initially started as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme in 2006-07.
- The mission was later subsumed under Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture(MIDH) during 2014-15 and continued till 2015-16.
Restructured National Bamboo Mission:
- The restructured National Bamboo Mission(NBM) was launched in 2018-19 by the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
Objectives of the mission:
- Firstly, to increase the area under bamboo plantation in non-forest Government and private lands. This is to supplement farm income and contribute towards resilience to climate change.
- Secondly, to improve post-harvest management through the establishment of innovative primary processing units. These units were particularly located near the source of production, primary treatment, and seasoning plants, and market infrastructure.
- Thirdly, to promote product development at micro, small and medium levels and feed bigger industry.
- Fourthly, to rejuvenate the underdeveloped bamboo industry in India.
- Fifthly, to promote skill development, capacity building, awareness generation for the development of the bamboo sector.
- Lastly, to re-align efforts to reduce dependency on the import of bamboo and bamboo products.
Key Features of the mission:
- Firstly, Hub and Spoke Model: The Mission is being implemented in a hub (industry) and spoke model. The main goal is to connect farmers to markets. This enables farmers to get a ready market for the bamboo.
- Secondly, Subsidy: Under the mission, a direct subsidy of 50% is given to farmers at Rs 1.00 lakh per ha. The Direct subsidy is provided 100% to Government agencies. There is also a subsidy for entrepreneurs to set up various product development units.
- Thirdly, Implementation: The Mission is presently implemented by 21 States. This includes all the 9 States of the North Eastern Region(NER). In NER the Mission is implemented through the respective State Bamboo Missions.