What is National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research?
- The National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research (NCAOR) is an Indian research and development institution, situated in Vasco, Goa.
- It is an autonomous Institution of the Department of Ocean Development (DOD), Government of India which is responsible for administering the Indian Antarctic Program and maintains the Indian government’s Antarctic research station, Maitri.
- NCAOR has been playing a major role in national Antarctic programs.
- It is credited with pursuing cutting-edge studies in the field of earth, environment, life, space and other subjects of Polar sciences in collaboration with research communities of India and abroad.
- The Centre is the nodal organization for the coordination and implementation of the Indian polar program that includes Antarctic, Arctic and Southern Ocean studies as also encompassing the maintenance of India’s permanent stations in these areas.