News:Cabinet has approved the supply of 2 kg extra subsidised food grains through the ration shops under the National Food Security Act,2013.
- Nodal agency:Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution.
- Objective:To provide food and nutritional security by ensuring access to an adequate quantity of quality food at affordable prices.
- Coverage:67% of the population (75% in rural areas and 50% in urban areas)
- Allocation:Eligible persons will be entitled to receive 5 Kgs of foodgrains per person per month at subsidised prices of Rs. 3/2/1 per Kg for rice/wheat/coarse grains.
- The existing Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) households which constitute the poorest of the poor receives 35 Kgs of foodgrains per household per month.
- Pregnant women and lactating mothers are entitled to a nutritious take home ration of 600 Calories and a maternity benefit of at least Rs 6,000 for six months.
- Children upto 14 years of age are also entitled to nutritious meals as per the prescribed nutritional standards.
- Grievance Cell:The act also contains provisions for setting up of grievance redressal mechanism at the District and State levels.