Introduced: Lok Sabha (23rd March 2020)
Passed: Lok Sabha (20th Sept 2020)
Passed: Rajya Sabha (22nd Sept 2020)
Present status: Received assent on 28th Sept 2020 & converted to Act.
About National Forensic Science University Bill, 2020
Ministry: Home Affairs
- It establishes National Forensic Science University as an institute of national importance.
- The proposed university would facilitate and promote studies and research and help achieve excellence in the field of forensic science along with applied behavioural science studies, law, criminology and other allied areas.
Key provisions of National Forensic Science University Bill, 2020
- Establishment of the University: The Bill establishes the Gujarat Forensic Sciences University, Gandhinagar (established under the Gujarat Forensic Sciences University Act, 2008) and the Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Narayan National Institute of Criminology and Forensic Sciences, New Delhi, as a University called the National Forensic Sciences University at Gujarat.
- Objectives and functions of the University: Promoting academic learning in the field of forensic science in conjunction with applied behavioural science studies, law and other allied areas to strengthen the criminal justice institutions in India.
- Authorities: The Bill provides for several authorities under the University. These include the Chancellor of the University, the Court, the Board of Governors and the Academic Council
- Board of Governors: The Board of Governors will be responsible for all administrative affairs of the University.
- Fund: The University will maintain a Fund which will be applied towards its expenses.