News:Vice President of India has asked the Government to expedite the research facility proposed by the National Institute of Ocean Technology(NIOT) in Nellore,Andhra Pradesh.
- The National Institute of Ocean Technology(NIOT) was established in November 1993 as an autonomous society under the Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India.
- The aim of NIOT is to develop reliable indigenous technologies to solve various engineering problems associated with harvesting of non-living and living resources in the Indian Exclusive Economic Zone(EEZ) which is about two-thirds of the land area of India.
Mission of NIOT:
- To develop world class technologies and their applications for sustainable utilization of ocean resources.
- To provide competitive, value added technical services and solutions to organizations working in the oceans.
- To develop a knowledge base and institutional capabilities in India for management of ocean resources and environment.