News: National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB), Ministry of AYUSH has launched a Consortia of Medicinal Plants.
- Why was the NMPB Consortium launched? The NMPB Consortia aims to address/deliberate on the following issues: Quality planting material, Research & Development, Cultivation and Trade of medicinal plants/market linkage.
- Medicinal Plant Species Covered: In the first phase NMPB consortia is proposed for following medicinal plant species:
- Ashwagandha (Withaniasomnifera)
- Pippali(Piper longum)
- Aonla (Phyllanthus Emblica)
- Guggulu (Commiphorawightii)
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus).
- Seed to Shelf Approach: To establish the linkage between the farmers and manufacturers, a ‘Seed to Shelf’ approach is also being introduced. Wherein, aspects related to Quality Planting Materials(QPM), Good Agricultural Practices(GAP’s), Good Post Harvest Practices (GPHP’s) would be addressed.
- National Medicinal Plants Board(NMPB): It was established in 2000 under the Ministry of AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha & Homoeopathy).
- Aim: Its main objective is the development of the medicinal plants sector through developing a strong coordination between various ministries/ departments/ organizations for implementation of policies / programs on medicinal plants.