List of Contents
What is the News?
A National Level Tissue Bank(Biomaterial Centre) for storing tissues has been established at National Organ and Tissue Transplant Organisation(NOTTO), New Delhi, under National Organ Transplant Programme(NOTP).
About National Organ Transplant Programme(NOTP):
- National Organ Transplant Programme(NOTP) aims to promote organ donation and transplantation across all States/Union Territories (UTs).
- Implementing Agency: Directorate General of Health Services(DGHS), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare is implementing the National Organ Transplant Programme.
Objectives of the Programme:
- To organize a system of organ and tissue procurement & distribution for transplantation.
- To promote deceased organ and Tissue donation.
- Furthermore, to train required manpower.
- Also, to protect vulnerable poor from organ trafficking.
- Lastly, to monitor organ and tissue transplant services and bring about policy and programme corrections/ changes whenever needed.
Key Features of the Programme: The key activities under the programme include:
- Setting up of State Organ and Tissue Transplant Organisations (SOTTOs) in each State/UT.
- Setting up of National/ Regional/State Bio-material centres.
- Financial support for establishing new Organ Transplant/retrieval facilities and strengthening of existing Organ Transplant/retrieval facilities.
- Training to transplant experts including surgeons, physicians, transplant coordinators, etc.
- Financial support for the hiring of Transplant Coordinators to medical colleges and trauma centres.
- Post-transplant immune-suppressant drugs to Below Poverty Line (BPL) patients.
- National Organ and Tissue Transplant Organisation(NOTTO) has been set up as the apex center for all Indian activities of coordination and networking for procurement and distribution of organs and tissues and registry of Organs and Tissues Donation and Transplantation in the country.