News:President of India has presented the National Service Scheme(NSS) Awards for 2017-18 to universities, NSS units and NSS volunteers.
- National Service scheme is a Central sector scheme implemented by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Government of India.
- The scheme was launched in 1969.
- The scheme aims to develop the personality and character of the student youth through voluntary community service.
- NSS volunteers play an important role in spreading awareness about government initiatives such as Swachh Bharat Mission activities and yoga program.
Objectives of the scheme:
- Understand the community in which they work.
- Understand themselves in relation to their community.
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving process.
- Develop competence required for group living and sharing of responsibilities.
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation.
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters.
- Practice national integration and social harmony.