Why in News?
The Government of India has nominated 28 non-official members on the National Startup Advisory Council.
About National Startup Advisory Council:
- National Startup Advisory Council: It was constituted by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) in January, 2020.
- Objective: This is to advise the Government on measures needed to build a strong startup ecosystem. The ecosystem will nurture innovation and startups in the country. It will drive sustainable economic growth and generate large scale employment opportunities.
- Chairman: Minister for Commerce & Industry.
- Convener of the Council: Joint Secretary, Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade.
- Ex-officio Members: Nominees of the concerned Ministries/Departments/Organizations not below the rank of Joint Secretary.
- Non-official members to be nominated by the Government from various categories like
- Founders of successful startups
- Veterans who have grown and scaled companies in India
- Persons capable of representing the interests of investors into startups, etc.
- The term of the non-official members will be for a period of two years or until further orders, whichever is earlier.