News:Union Minister for Jal Shakti has presented the National Water Mission Awards- 2019.
National water mission award:
- The water mission awards is an initiative of National Water Mission (NWM), Department of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- The award seeks to recognize excellence in water conservation, efficient water use and sustainable water management practices.
- The awards are given in ten categories defined under five goals of National water mission(NWM).
National water mission:
- The National water mission is one of the eight missions launched under the National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC) for combating the threats of global warming.
- The main objective of the Water Mission is conservation of water, minimizing wastage and ensuring its more equitable distribution both across and within States through integrated water resources development and management.
Goals:The National Water Mission envisages the following five goals :
- Comprehensive water data base in public domain and assessment of the impact of climate change on water resources,
- Promotion of citizen and state actions for water conservation, augmentation and preservation
- Focused attention to vulnerable areas including over-exploited areas
- Increasing water use efficiency by 20%
- Promotion of basin level integrated water resources management.