Context- Integrating Europe into India’s new strategic calculus must be a serious goal in 2021.
Three latest developments underline Delhi’s altering strategic perceptions of Europe-
- India’s assist for France’s membership of the Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA).
- This accession reflects the determination of France, an Indian Ocean rim country, to become more involved in the Indo-Pacific region.
- India welcomed Germany and Netherlands in constructing a new geopolitical structure within the Indo-pacific.
- Emerging Security cooperation – The plans to work out a decade-long road map to rework the partnership between Delhi and London.
What were the Issues hindering India-Europe relations?
- The bipolar Cold War and the growing world versus the developed world dynamics prevented India from increasing cooperation with Europe in Post-WWII period.
- Whereas, Europe found China as an attractive commercial partner compared to India, the gap further widened with time.
- China also invested heavy political and diplomatic effort to make its place among European countries.
How geopolitics of the Indo-pacific affect Indian foreign policy?
- India is looking beyond the bipolar geopolitical competition between the US and China.
- This is because of uncertain political trajectory of the US towards China.
- India has begun to shed the postcolonial mental block towards regional security cooperation with Europe.
- The impact of China’s rise is being felt across the Indo-Pacific and the arising geopolitical instabilities are producing new partnerships between the affected powers.
- India has now taken European powers as natural partners in constructing a durable balance of power in the Indo-Pacific.
How Europe in the Indo-Pacific can benefit India?
Although, European potential to project army power into the Indo-Pacific is limited. However together with Asian democracies, Europe can definitely make a distinction.
- It may well mobilize large economic assets for sustainable development of regional infrastructure.
- Wield political affect and leverage its important smooth power to form the Indo-pacific discourse.
- Also, can increase India’s personal complete national power.
Therefore, a powerful coalition of Asian and European center powers should now be an indispensable factor of the geopolitics of the Indo-pacific.