New Asian constellation
- Atul Aneja, the China correspondent of the Hindu has analysed the recent SCO summit held in Qingdao, china.
2. India and Pakistan have recently joined Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) as full term members.
3. The SCO was formed in 2001.
4. The SCO was formed as intent of calming the Eurasian borders strained by the Sino-Soviet rivalry of the Cold War.
5. The SCO has evolved from its core security orientation and further seeking for greater regional prosperity.
6. The SCO summit has focus on mutual respect and plurality among member nations.
7. China and Russia have been the pillars of the SCO.
8. The SCO summit has gain importance in recent times because the leaders of the G-7 were engaged in bitter Twitter feuds across the Atlantic.
9. India gains from the SCO Summit Include:
- The SCO summit gave India fresh leads to engage with Central Asia.
- Uzbekistan will able to access the funnel goods through the Iranian port of Chabahar (a joint undertaking of Iran, India and Afghanistan)
- India has re-exploring a transit corridor to Central Asia through Pakistan under the SCO’s multilateral connectivity initiative.
- The SCO platform will provide the opportunity to develop a sustainable working relationship with Pakistan and narrowing down India-Pakistan differences.
- India has a positive talk with China on the sidelines of SCO summit.
- The talk between both countries will reinforce the promise of the Wuhan informal summit.
- Both India and China agrees to end the Doklam military stand-off crisis and start a fresh relationship that has a mixed legacy.