- The government has informed the Supreme Court that new guidelines are being framed for keeping foreign nationals in detention centres across the country.
2. Background: The issue of framing of detention manual for keeping foreign nationals had cropped up when the apex court was hearing a matter related to the condition of detention centres in Assam.
- The apex court had recently expressed displeasure that foreign nationals kept in detention centres in Assam were “separated” from their families and had asked the state to look into the issue with urgency so that the families are “not broken up”.
- The court observed it was “inappropriate” to keep the families separated without any valid reason.
- The Centre had told the apex court that it was in the process of framing guidelines for keeping foreign nationals in detention centres across the country and the process would take around three months.