News:NITI Aayog has released the ranking of Aspirational Districts of the country for the month of December 2019.
About the ranking:
- The rankings took into account incremental progress made by over 112 aspirational districts across six developmental areas in December 2019.
- The six developmental areas are Health and nutrition, education, agriculture and water resources, financial inclusion, skill development and basic infrastructure.
Key takeaways from the ranking:
- Chandauli district in Uttar Pradesh has topped the list of aspirational districts.
- Balangir(Odisha) and YSR(Andhra Pradesh) have been placed at the second and third positions respectively.
- Sahibganj (Jharkhand) has been ranked at the fourth spot and Hailakandi(Assam) at the fifth place.
About Aspirational districts programme:
- The Aspirational districts programme was launched in 2018.It is coordinated by the Niti Aayog with support from Central Ministries and the State Governments.
- Aim:To transform districts that have shown relatively lesser progress in key social areas and have emerged as pockets of under-development.
- The broad contours of the programme are Convergence (of Central & State Schemes), Collaboration (of Central, State level ‘Prabhari’ Officers & District Collectors) and Competition among districts driven by a Mass Movement or a Jan Andolan.