What is the News?
The Centre has reconstituted the governing council of the NITI Aayog to include the Union Territory of Ladakh for the first time.
About Niti Aayog:
- National Institution for Transforming India also called NITI Aayog was formed through cabinet resolution in 2015. It had replaced the erstwhile Planning Commission.
- NITI Aayog is the premier policy ‘Think Tank’ of the Government of India. It provides both directional and policy inputs.
NITI Aayog’s Governing Council:
- It is the premier body tasked with a shared vision of national development priorities, sectors and strategies with the active involvement of States.
- The governing council presents a platform to discuss inter-sectoral, inter-departmental and federal issues.
- Chairperson: Prime Minister.
- Full-Time Members: The full-time members to the council are Chief ministers of all states and of the Union Territories of Jammu and Kashmir, Delhi and Puducherry
- Special Invitees: The Lieutenant Governors of Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Ladakh, and the administrators of Chandigarh, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Daman and Diu and Lakshadweep are the special invitees of the governing council.