Skip to content
- According to a study conducted by the Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI), it has endorsed the safety of PET bottles.
- Polyethylene terephthalate(PET) is widely employed packaging material for drinking water, juices,vegetable oils, pharmaceuticals and various other applications and is 100% recyclable.
- This study was conducted after a debate internationally on whether PET bottles leach harmful chemicals when exposed to high temperatures.
- The study has concluded that PET bottles does not leach or contain heavy metals like arsenic, barium, cadmium, chromium, cobalt, lead, mercury, selenium, zinc.
- The study has also said that Bisphenol(BPA) was below its detection limit of 0.02 mg/kg.BPA is a synthetic organic compound and used in the manufacture of PET bottles.
- However,BPA is now being phased out after research found a link between the presence of BPA and the disruption of hormone regulation, as well as breast cancer.
- CFTRI is a part of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).It is the nodal institute of the Govt of India for research, technology and testing of Food and Food packaging.