What is the News?
The Government of India has announced plans to set up a National Farmer’s Database.
About National Farmers Database:
- Government of India aims to create a National Farmer’s Database using digitized land records to offer proactive and personalised services to farmers.
- The database will initially only include land owning farmers. The landless and tenant farmers will be excluded from the database.
- The database can be used by the Government for targeted service delivery with higher efficiency and in a focussed and time-bound manner.
- It will also be used to offer personalised services to farmers such as direct benefit transfer, soil and plant health advisories, weather advisories, irrigation facilities, market access information among others.
- The National Farmer’s database would serve as the core of the Agristack.
- AgriStack is a proposed collection of technologies and digital databases focusing on farmers and the agricultural sector.
- The database will create a unified platform for farmers to provide them end-to-end services across the agriculture food value chain.
- Under the program, each farmer will have a unique digital identification (farmers’ ID) which will be linked to their Aadhaar number.
- Data to be collected by AgriStack may include personal details, the profile of land held, production details, and financial details.