- Report released on Manual Scavenging by an NGO Rashtriya Garima Abhiyan.
- Study has been conducted by the NGO on the death due to sewer and septic tank cleaning since 1992.
- It covered a sample group of 97 deaths in 51 incidents across 11 States
- Important findings:
- First Information Reports (FIR) were filed in only 35% of the cases.
- Only 31% of affected families received cash compensation.
- Affected families has not received the rehabilitation or alternative jobs.
- Few of them were denied death certificate.
- Though the Government has provided toilets under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, it has failed to take into the account the responsibility of cleaning septic tanks.
- In some cases, there was no acknowledgement of a death.
- Safai Karamchari Finance and Development Corporation will be spreading awareness about Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Act, 2013.