- North Korea agrees to “permanently” abolish its key missile facilities in the presence of foreign experts.
- North Korea also expressed desire to close its main nuclear complex if the United States takes reciprocal action, thereby signalling that it is unwilling to give up its nuclear arsenal unilaterally .
- North Korea has also offered to stop nuclear and missile tests but did not allow international inspections for a dismantlement of its only known nuclear site. This has drawn widespread criticism.
- Conditions by North Korea for de-nuclearisation
- United States should provide security guarantees by removing troops from South Korea
- US should withdraw its nuclear umbrella of deterrence from the South and Japan.
- 6. Reasons for North Korean Denuclearisation
- North Korea is seeking relief from the economic sanctions that are hurting its country.
- It is seen as step towards joining of two Korean Peninsulas,i.e. North and South Korea.
- Inter-Korean third summit held in Pyongyang
- Leaders of two Korean Peninsulas agreed to take concrete steps to implement the Panmunjom Declaration regarding de-nuclearisation of Korean Peninsula.
- The two Koreas also adopted a separate military accord aimed at preventing armed clashes between each other.
- Leaders also agreed to withdraw some guard posts and equipment, to transform the world’s most heavily fortified border into a no-weapons area.