List of Contents
What is the News?
The National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Ltd has commissioned the largest floating solar PV project in Andhra Pradesh.
About the Largest Floating Solar PV Project:
- The largest Floating Solar PV Project of 25MW is located on the reservoir of Simhadri thermal station in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- This is the first solar project to be set up under the Flexibilisation Scheme.
- The project has the potential to generate electricity from more than 1 lakh solar PV modules. This would not only help to light around 7,000 households but also ensure CO2 emission reduction of at least 46,000 tons every year during the lifespan of this project.
- The project is also expected to save 1,364 million litres of water per annum. This would be adequate to meet the yearly water requirements of 6,700 households.
|Read more: World’s largest floating solar energy project in Omkareshwar Dam|
About Flexibilisation Scheme:
- Flexibilisation Scheme was launched by the Government of India in the year 2018.
- The scheme allows power generation companies to meet their supply obligations via renewable power instead of thermal power alone.
- Under the scheme, any power generating company having coal/lignite/gas-based thermal generating stations may establish or procure renewable energy generating capacity anywhere in the country, either at existing stations or at new locations.