What is the News?
India’s largest power utility, NTPC Ltd has become a signatory of UN’s CEO Water Mandate.
About UN’s CEO Water Mandate:
- UN’s CEO Water Mandate is a UN Global Compact initiative to demonstrate the commitment and efforts of companies towards better water and sanitation agendas as part of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Purpose: The mandate is designed to assist companies in the development, implementation, and disclosure of comprehensive water strategies and policies.
- It also provides a platform for companies to partner with like-minded businesses, UN agencies, public authorities, civil society organizations and other key stakeholders.
- Companies: The mandate is now endorsed by over 180 companies from a range of industry sectors and regions around the world.
Read Also :-United Nations Organisations in News
About United Nations Global Compact Initiative:
- United Nations Global Compact is a non-binding United Nations Initiative.
- Purpose: It aims to encourage companies worldwide to adopt sustainable and socially responsible policies. For that, the UN categorised 10 principles range from human rights, anti-corruption, environment, labour, etc.
- Launched in: The initiative was announced by the then UN Secretary-General in 1999. It was officially launched at UN Headquarters in New York City in 2000.