News: The Odisha government has decided to merge its KALIA Scheme with Centre’s Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-Kisan) yojana.
About KALIA Scheme:
- “Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income Augmentation” (Kalia) scheme of Odisha is a direct cash transfer scheme for small and marginal farmers and landless agricultural labourers.
- It seeks to provide financial assistance of Rs.25, 000 per farm family over five seasons to small and marginal farmers so that farmers can purchase farm inputs use assistance towards labour and other investments.
- Further, it seeks to provide financial assistance of Rs.12500 to each landless Agricultural Household for carrying out agricultural allied activities.
About PM KISAN Scheme:
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) is a Central Sector Scheme with 100% funding from Government of India. It was announced in February 2019.
- Under the Scheme, income support of Rs.6000/- per year is provided to all farmer families across the country in three equal instalments of Rs.2000/- each every four months.
- Definition of the family for the Scheme is husband, wife and minor children. The entire responsibility of identification of beneficiary farmer families rests with the State / UT Governments.
- The fund is directly transferred to the bank accounts of the beneficiaries.
- The scheme is implemented by the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.