News:Odisha Chief Minister has launched the ‘Jalsathi’ programme with the aim to ensure supply of safe drinking water to all households in the state.
About Jalsathi programme:
- The JalSathi programme aims to ensure the supply of clean drinking water to consumers through piped water connections.
- The Odisha government has roped in women volunteers to serve the people as ‘Jalasathis’.This will help boost the economic empowerment of women in the state.
- Under the programme, over 5,000 women will be engaged in Odisha to supply safe drinking water.
- The Jalasathis will be responsible for testing of water quality, facilitating new water connections and regularising connections, reassessing of demands, reading of meter, bill generation and delivery, collection of water charges and facilitating complaints redressal.
- The programme will be initially implemented in eight wards of Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation under the 5T initiative of the Housing and Urban Development.
About Mission Shakti:
- Mission Shakti was launched on the occasion of International Women’s Day in 2001 by Chief Minister of Odisha.
- The Mission aims at empowering women through formation and promotion of women Self Help Groups.