News:President of India has greeted the citizens of the country on the eve of Onam festival.
About the Onam festival:
- Onam is the biggest and the most important festival of the state of Kerala.
- It is a harvest festival and is celebrated in the beginning of the month of Chingam,the first month of Malayalam Calendar (Kollavarsham).This corresponds with the month of August-September according to Gregorian Calendar.
- According to a popular legend,the festival is celebrated to welcome King Mahabali whose spirit is said to visit Kerala at the time of Onam.
- The most important part of the festival is Onasadya.It is considered to be the most elaborate and grand meal prepared by any civilisation or cultures in the world.
- Another key feature is Vallamkali, the Snake Boat Race.The event is promoted as a major tourist attraction of the state of Kerala and draws a large number of domestic and international tourists.