List of Contents
What is the News?
Indian Railways Research Design & Standards Organization(RDSO) has become the nation’s first institution to be declared as Standard Developing Organization(SDO) under the “One Nation One Standard” mission.
About One Nation One Standard Mission:
- One Nation One Standard was first conceived in 2019 by the Bureau of Indian Standards(BIS).
- The mission is on the line of one nation, one ration card scheme in order to ensure quality products in the country.
Objectives of the One Nation One Standard Mission:
- To aggregate and integrate the existing capabilities in standardisation. Further, it will also provide dedicated domain-specific expertise available with various organizations in the country.
- This will enable one template of standard for one given product instead of having multiple agencies set it.
- To enable the convergence of all standard development activities in the country, resulting in One National Standard for One Subject. This will help in establishing a Brand India identity in the long run.
- To attain the One Nation One Standard vision, BIS launched the Standard Developing Organization(SDO) recognition scheme.
- The recognition is valid for 3 years and will require renewal after completion of the validity period.
About Research Designs & Standards Organization(RDSO)
- RDSO is the sole R&D Wing of the Ministry of Railways. It was founded by integrating the Central Standards Office (CSO) and the Railway Testing and Research Centre(RTRC) into a single unit in 1957.
- Purpose: It is one of India’s leading Standard formulating bodies undertaking standardization work for the railway sector.
- Location: It is situated in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
Read Also :-The International Labour Organization
Benefits of SDO Recognition for RDSO:
- RDSO will be recognized on international standards-making bodies and there will be integration with global supply chain/global trade
- The competitiveness amongst the industry will increase
- There will be a reduction in cost and quantum improvement in the quality of product and services
- There will be smooth induction of the latest evolving & emerging technologies on Indian Railways
- Dependence on imports will reduce and “Make-in-India” will get a boost
- Improved ease-of-doing-business.
Source: Financial Express