What is the News?
The Indian Navy has launched Operation Samudra Setu-II.
About Operation Samudra Setu-II:
- Firstly, the Indian Navy launched this operation with the aim to bring oxygen-filled cryogenic containers to India from abroad.
- This is because the country is facing a severe shortage of medical oxygen in the wake of a massive spike in new Covid-19 cases.
- Secondly, as part of the mission, Seven Indian Naval ships, namely Kolkata, Kochi, Talwar, Tabar, Trikand, Jalashwa, and Airavat, are participating. These ships will carry shipments of liquid medical oxygen-filled cryogenic containers and associated medical equipment from various countries to India.
Operation Samudra Setu:
- The Indian Navy launched this operation in May 2020 as a part of Vande Bharat Mission. It aimed to bring back around two thousand Indians in two ships during the first phase of evacuation.
- INS Jalashwa and INS Magar were operated as part of efforts to repatriate Indian nationals from foreign shores.
Source: India Today