List of Contents
Synopsis: The new master plan of Delhi 2041 would provide ownership rights to residents of at least 71 unauthorized colonies located along the Yamuna flood plain.
- The new master plan for Delhi (MPD) 2041 is put in the public domain for suggestions and amendments.
- Under this, the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) has proposed to delineate Zone O, which encompasses the floodplain, into two zones – Zone O-I and O-II.
- Zone O-I is the “river zone” with the active floodplain, spread over 6,295 hectare, and no construction would be allowed here.
- Zone O-II, covering 3,638.4 hectare, has been rezoned as “riverfront” with regulated development.
The rationale behind demarcation of Zone O:
- The demarcation is in compliance with the 2015 NGT order. The tribunal had directed that the floodplain be identified for a flood in 25 years in the interest of ecology, biodiversity and the river flow.
- The demarcation is based on a scientific study conducted by IIT delhi. Based on this, only 5 unauthorised colonies fell in the active flood plain area while 71 were outside it. Thus, enabling the latter to apply for ownership rights if the delineation is allowed.