- Pakistan has invited Saudi Arabia to join the CPEC as the third strategic partner.
2. The China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) is the fastest-moving and flagship project of multi-billion dollar global Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
3. It is the pet project of Chinese President Xi Jinping, aimed at enhancing Beijing’s influence around the world through China-funded infrastructure projects.
4. The CPEC aims to construct and upgrade the transportation network, energy projects, a deep-water port at Gwadar and special economic zones to eventually support Pakistan’s industrial development as a manufacturing hub by 2030.
5. The projects that Saudi Arabia would be investing in the CPEC will be smoothened out during the Saudi delegation’s visit to Pakistan.
6. Pakistan’s main interest lies in cooperation with Saudi Arabia on matters of trade and security.