The empowered expert committee (EEC) in its second report to the University Grants Commission (UGC), has recommended 19 higher educational institutes for Institute of Eminence (IoE) status.
About IoE scheme
1. The scheme of IoE was launched by University Grants Commission (UGC).
2. Aim: The scheme aims to bring higher educational institutions selected as IoEs in top 500 of world ranking in the next 10 years and in top 100 eventually overtime.
3. Objective: To provide world class teaching and research facilities to Indian students within the country and enhance general level of education of the country.
4. Benefits from the scheme:
Greater autonomy compared to other higher education institutions in terms of deciding fee for domestic and foreign students, formulating flexible course duration and structure.
- They will be exempted from approvals of government or UGC for academic collaborations with foreign institutions.
5. Three private and three public universities have already been selected for the IoE status