News:Researchers from Kerala have discovered a new species of eel-loach named ‘Pangio bhujia’ in Kozhikode district of state.
About Pangio Bhujia:
- The species has been named ‘Pangio bhujia’ due to its resemblance to the North Indian snack, bhujia.It belongs to genus Pangio.
- Pangio Bhujia is a unique species of miniature well-dwelling subterranean fish.
- It is the first species of eel-loach in the world that has been discovered to be living in subterranean environments.
- Eel-loaches are generally found in fast-flowing streams in the south and the south-east Asia.
- It is approximately 3 centimetres long and pinkish-red in colour.It resides in purest waters of deep subterranean aquifers.
- It has several unique characters including absence of dorsal fin which has never been encountered in genus Pangio to which this new species belongs.