What is the News?
Parliament has passed the National Institutes of Food Technology, Entrepreneurship and Management Bill, 2021.
Key Provisions of the Bill:
- Institutes of National Importance(INI): The Bill declares certain institutes of food technology, entrepreneurship, and management as institutions of national importance. These institutes are:
- National Institute of Food Technology Entrepreneurship and Management, Kundli
- Indian Institute of Food Processing Technology, Thanjavur.
- Greater Autonomy: These above institutes will be provided Greater Autonomy so that they can start new and innovative courses as well as help them to attract excellent faculty and students.
- New Curriculum: These institutes will also have curricular provisions related to food processing areas e.g. cold chain technology, food bio nanotechnology which can help in filling the technological gap.
- New Centres: They can also now open new centers anywhere in the country and abroad.
Institute of National Importance(INI):
- Institute of National Importance(INI) is a status that may be conferred on a premier public higher education institution in India by an act of Parliament of India.
- It is an institution that serves as a pivotal player in developing highly skilled personnel within the specified region of the country/state.
- These institutes also receive special recognition and funding from the Government of India.