News: Parliament passed the Arms (Amendment) Bill, 2019 which seeks to amend the Arms Act, 1959.
Key provisions of Arms (Amendment) Bill, 2019
- License for acquiring firearms:
- The Bill reduces the number of permitted firearms from three to one.
- It also increases the duration of the validity of a firearm license from three years to five years
- Ban on unlicensed firearms: The bill prohibits obtaining or procuring un-licensed firearms, and the conversion of one category of firearms to another without a license.
- Increase in punishment: It provides for enhanced punishment for illegally possessing and making prohibited arms.
- New offences added: The bill adds two new offences:
- Forcefully taking a firearm from police or armed forces
- Using firearms in celebratory gunfire which endangers human life
- Tracking of firearms: The bill states that the central government may make rules to track firearms and ammunition from manufacturer to purchaser