News:The death of a tiger in the Pench Tiger Reserve(PTR) has raised concerns whether the tiger should be tested for the coronavirus disease.
- Pench Tiger Reserve(PTR) is an inter state tiger reserve spanning across two states of Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra.
- The portion of the reserve that is in Madhya Pradesh is located in the Satpura ranges.
- The reserve comprises the Indira Priyadarshini Pench National Park, the Pench Mowgli Sanctuary and a buffer.
- The reserve is also among the sites notified as Important Bird Areas (IBA) of India.
- The tiger reserve is named after the Pench river that flows through.The Meghdoot dam built across Pench River falls both in M.P. and Maharashtra.
- Other Tiger Reserves in Madhya Pradesh: a) Kanha Tiger Reserve b) Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve c) Sanjay Dubri Tiger Reserve d) Bori- Satpura Tiger Reserve and e) Panna Tiger Reserve.
- Important Bird Areas(IBA):It is a programme of Birdlife International which aims to identify, monitor and protect a global network of IBAs for conservation of the world’s birds and associated biodiversity.