News: National Statistical Office(NSO) has released the Periodic Labour Force Survey(PLFS) for July 2018 to June 2019.
- Unemployment Rate(UR): It is defined as the percentage of persons unemployed among the persons in the labour force.
- It has reduced to 5.8% during 2018-19 from 6.1% during the same period of 2017-18.Under this, urban unemployment rate reduced to 7.7% in 2018-19 from 7.8% and in rural India to 5% from 5.3%.
- Labour Force Participation Rate(LFPR): It is defined as the percentage of persons in the labour force (i.e. working or seeking or available for work) in the population.
- It has increased to 37.5% during 2018-19 from 36.9% of 2017-18.
- Female Labour Force Participation Rate: It is the share of working-age women who report either being employed, or being available for work.
- It has also improved to 18.6% in 2018-19 from 17.5% the year before.
- Worker Population Ratio (WPR): It is defined as the percentage of employed persons in the population.
- It has increased to 35.3% as against 34.7% in the 2017-18.
- Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS): It is India’s first computer based survey launched by the National Statistical Office(NSO) in 2017.
- to estimate the key employment and unemployment indicators in the short time interval of three months for the urban areas only in the Current Weekly Status(CWS).
- to estimate employment and unemployment indicators in both usual status and CWS in both rural and urban areas annually.
- Activity Status- Usual Status: It is determined on the basis of the activities pursued by the person during the specified reference period.
- When the activity status is determined on the basis of the reference period of the last 365 days preceding the date of survey, it is known as the usual activity status of the person.
- Activity Status- Current Weekly Status(CWS): It is determined on the basis of a reference period of last 7 days preceding the date of survey is known as the current weekly status (CWS) of the person.