The Pesticides Management Bill (PMB), 2020 was introduced in the Rajya Sabha in March 2020. It seeks to replace the Insecticides Act, 1968.
- Aim: To protect the interest of farmers and ensure they get safe and effective pesticides.
- Key Features:
- Information to Framers: Farmers would be empowered to get all information regarding the available pesticides, their strength, weaknesses, and risks from the dealers
- Registration: Any person who wants to import, manufacture, or export pesticides would have to register under the new bill and provide all details regarding expected performance, efficacy, safety, usage instructions
- Compensation: Provision to provide compensation if there is any farm loss because of low quality or spurious pesticides.
- Information for public: All the information regarding the available pesticides would be available in the public
|Additional Information: The Insecticides Act, 1968 currently governs the registration, manufacturing, export, sale and use of pesticides in India.|